- Ceramic is a substance that is made from clay and hardened by heat in a furnace maintained at a high temperature.
- Clay is composed of aluminosilicate with sand and iron(III) oxide as impurities.
- Examples of ceramics include
- The properties of ceramics include the following:
- The differences between the properties of ceramics, metals and non-metals are given below
|Hardness||Hard but malleable and ductile||Soft and brittle||Hard but brittle|
|Melting point||High||Low||Very high|
|Resistance to heat||High||Low||Very high|
|Chemical reactions||Corrodes||Corrodes||Stable, does not corrode|