- Polymerisation is the process of joining together the large number of monomers to form a polymer.
- There are 2 types of polymerisation process
- polylerisation by addition
- polylerisation by condensation
Polylerisation by Addition
Polymerisation by addition involves monomers with >C = C< bonding, where the monomers join together to make a long chain without losing any simple molecules from it.
Polylerisation by Condensation
- Polymerisation by condensation involves the elimination of small molecules like water, methanol, ammonia or hydrogen chloride during the process.
- Examples of products of this process are terylene and nylon-66.