- 2 types of chemical bonds are commonly formed between atoms, namely
- Ionic Bond
- Covalent Bond
The Ionic Bond
- By releasing or receiving electron(s), the atoms will become ions and consequently form ionic bond between the ions.
- Ionic bonds are always formed between metal and non-metal. For example, sodium (metal) react with chlorine (non-metal) will form an ionic bond between sodium ion and chloride ion.
- The compounds formed are called the ionic compounds.
- Some time, an ionic bond is also called electrovalent bond.