- Matter is anything that occupies space and has mass.
- The particle theory of matter states that matter is made up of a large number of tiny and discrete particles.
Particle Theory of Matter:
Matter is made up of a large number of tiny and discrete particles.
Types of Particles
- Particles can exist as atoms, molecules or ions.
- Atom is the smallest, indivisible particle of an element.
- Molecules are particles that made up of two or more atoms.
- Ions are particles that carry charge.
- Positive ion – Cation
- Negative ion – Anion